How To Create A Parenting Plan That Works

If there are minor children involved in your divorce, you will need to forge a plan for child custody and visitation. This is known as a parenting plan or time-sharing arrangement. Fathers who wish to have a relationship with their children following the breakup of an unmarried relationship can also obtain a parenting plan.

Many types of arrangements are possible. In a traditional parenting plan, one parent has primary residential custody and the other has visitation according to a schedule. You and your spouse could also choose to share custody 50-50. Sole custody is unusual and would be appropriate only if one parent is abusive or not involved in the children's lives.

At the Law Office of John Attiani, I help fathers and mothers craft parenting plans to sign and submit to the family court for approval. My law office is in Fort Washington, and I serve clients throughout the Greater Philadelphia area. As your lawyer, I am here to protect your relationship with your children.

Do I Have Input In My Parenting Plan?

You have input unless you reach the point where you can't negotiate anymore. As long as you can communicate with your partner, you can resolve issues and craft a plan that both of you are comfortable with. If you and the other parent cannot reach an agreement, your case will most likely end up in court. In that case, a judge will decide.

You and your spouse can modify your parenting plan in the future if your situation or the needs of your children change.

What If My Ex Wants To Relocate?

If you have a parenting plan that has been signed and approved by the court, your ex cannot relocate with children without permission from the court. The court will consider the best interests of the children in reviewing the relocation request.

If the court approves relocation, you will need to create a new parenting plan so you can maintain contact with your children. The new plan may include fewer, longer visits. It may also include an arrangement to share travel costs for visitation.

Schedule An Attorney Consultation

I offer a free 10-minute initial consultation to discuss your parenting plan. Call my office at 215-596-4820 or email me for more information.